THE OLD CHURCH 1857 Charles Hansom, Architect
© Copyright Ampleforth Abbey Trust 2010
THE LAST YEARS: Below: Scott built the new Choir against the west wall, and the wall was removed, in 1925. The church was then reversed, with the altar at the west end (as in the old basilicas).
Right: From 1956 to 1961 the monks and school use the ‘tin church’ (actually asbestos) placed beside the New College of 1861: it had a long later life at the wets end of the Junior House.
The end, 1957: A crane swung a 1-ton steel ball. The rubble lies under the east end of Nevill House ie St Oswalds.