There were some few specialist lay teachers from the first days at Ampleforth, for art, music, or drill. Until 1926 all the main teaching was done by monks, and with graduates from St Benet's Hall (founded 1897) standards began to rise. In the twenties it became clear that young and more professional teachers were needed, and were available. The graph (below) makes the changes clear.
In 1967 Fr Hubert Stephenson, Parish Priest of Ampleforth, made a list of Lay Staff, to which others made additions. This is the basis of the present list, but it has been expanded by what has been found in the Ampleforth Journal. Because of modern restrictions, only deceased staff are shown, but several staff are missing because we do not know of their decease, or of the date.
Please tell us by email of mistakes or gaps.
Below: showing number of Monks and Lay Staff 1920-2010