We first place the oldest photograph of Ampleforth. Since there is no sign of the old Hansom church, it must have been taken before 1854. It is likely that the trees in the foreground are the ones which Fr Augustine Baines planted (as he records in his Diary) in 1814.
This is a photograph of an old copy of the original print, which we do not have: as the coy was not itself a good print, the result is any better.
Below: The next oldest is of the school, taken in 1865, identified in 1922 by Fr Anselm Burge, who was present.